Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

What To Do If A Minor Receives A CARES Act Relief Check

Many people who should have received a $1200 coronavirus relief check are still waiting for the money from the Federal government, while others who should not be elligible, including some deceased individuals, received payments. Now Utah, it also appears there are minor children who may have erroneously been sent a $1,200 economic impact payment. 

Under the CARES Act, individuals who are not claimed as a dependent on taxes and who make less than $99,000 a year are to receive a $1,200 economic impact payment. Individuals with dependents are to receive an additional $500 for every child age 16 and under.


In at least one confirmed case, a Utah minor has been sent a $1,200 coronavirus relief check by the Federal government. The check arrived on Tuesday for a 17-year-old who was claimed as a dependent on his parent’s taxes. The individual recently turned 17, and their parent had previously received the money from the CARES Act allotted for minor children age 16 and under.


A representative from Congressman Rob Bishop’s office said it isn’t clear why a minor would have received a full economic impact check, but there are a few potential reasons, including a glitch in the information system, the way the minor’s tax returns were filed, or if the child-dependent is receiving Social Security Benefits for Children (survivor benefits from a deceased parent or disabled parent).


If the erroneous check was sent because of the third reason, it could have happened due to the information the Social Security Administartion and the Veterans Affairs Department are providing the IRS for individuals who receive Social Security and Veterans benefits, but don’t typically file tax returns. 


According to the representative, no matter the reason for an economic impact check being sent incorrectly, that money will need to be returned if the recipient was ineligible for payment.


Information on how to return this money to the IRS is available on its website, and the frequently asked questions section is being updated regularly to address a variety of circumstances.