Giving Tuesday: A Global Day of Giving
Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Giving Tuesday is a global day of charitable giving celebrating the power of community support. It kicks off the charitable season when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving.
This November 27th, join the movement and give to Utah Public Radio by donating here. Your support matters!
Interested in more ways to get involved?
You could win up to $10,000 for a nonprofit organization, like Utah Public Radio, by entering a story to #MyGivingStory based on this year’s prompt: “Every act of giving has a story. What’s yours?” Entries are accepted throughout the month of November.
What is #MyGivingStory?
Launched in partnership with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, #MyGivingStory is an annual social media storytelling contest held each November in conjunction with #GivingTuesday that fosters a public conversation about generosity and encourages more people to give.
Throughout the month of November, people submit their stories responding to the prompt— “Every act of giving has a story. What’s yours?”—into an online gallery, share their stories across their social media networks, generate votes for their stories, and have the opportunity to win grants for their favorite nonprofit organizations. Stories may be submitted in written or video format.
What are the Prizes during #MyGivingStory?
Prizes range from T-shirts to $10,000 grants for the entrant’s chosen nonprofit organization.
1. The 20 stories that receive the most votes in the online gallery during the contest period (Nov 1-Dec 7) will be sent to a panel of judges who will award prizes:
- 1st-Place Winner: $10,000 for the entrant’s chosen nonprofit organization
- 2nd-Place Winner: $5,000 for the entrant’s chosen nonprofit organization
- 3rd-Place Winner: $2,500 for the entrant’s chosen nonprofit organization
2. Most Nominated Nonprofit: $2,000 to each of the five nonprofit organizations “chosen” the most often
3. Yo Dono Porque: $2,500 for entrant’s chosen nonprofit organization to the 2 Spanish language stories garnering the most votes
4. Honorable Mention: $1,000 for the entrant’s chosen nonprofit organization to 3 outstanding stories.
5. $500 grants for entrant’s chosen nonprofit organization will be awarded 2x each week throughout the contest period to a randomly selected submission. That’s a total of 10 chances to win!
6. 30 Days of November: Each day, one submission will be randomly selected to win a custom #GivingTuesday gift.
Tips for writing a successful #MyGivingStory
The stories that were most popular and produced the highest levels of engagement were those that followed or were similar in structure to the five-part dramatic arc employed in Greek and Shakespearean drama—which contains five key components: the exposition (setting the stage), rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution.
Adding an image to a written story substantially improved engagement. (Note that, while logos and other organizational branding are better than no image, photos tend to yield stronger results.)
Looking for more tips and tricks for winning? Be sure to check out the FAQs at mygivingstory.org!