Ask An Expert: February Pre-Gardening Checklist
There is much that can be done now to get a jump start on the growing season. These tips with links from the Utah State University Extension Gardeners Almanac can help you get started.
- Consider adding a smaller structure such as a low tunnel or a larger high tunnel to extend your growing season.
- Try your hand at starting vegetables or annual plants indoors from seed to get a jump start on growing.
- Consider growing herbs and/or microgreens indoors to add fresh greens to your diet.
- If you are storing bulbs, check the condition of the bulbs to ensure they are firm, and remove any soft or rotten bulbs.
- Prune grapes and fruit trees in late February to early March.
- Fertilize fruit trees at least 6 weeks before they bloom
- Monitor for deer and rodent damage in the landscape.
- Avoid fungus gnat infestation in house plants by allowing the soil to dry between watering.
Click here to see a video of February gardening tips.