It appears Utahns heeded firework warnings and decided to skip on personal fireworks for this Fourth of July weekend. State officials reported no major wildfires over the long weekend and Governor Spencer Cox’s office says they are “grateful” for that.
Cox’s communications director Jennifer Napier-Pearce says they hope Uthans forgoing personal fireworks “continues through the July 24 holiday.”
Earlier this year, Cox said if he could ban fireworks across the state, he would. Republican leadership in the state’s legislature refused to call a special session to do it. Instead, officials urged Utahns to follow local restrictions, if any were put in place.
Due to extreme drought conditions and a high risk of wildfires, some cities outright banned fireworks this year, while others severely restricted them.