Gov. Gary Herbert announced Friday that the current restrictions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Utah will remain in place.
The announcement comes after the governor said earlier this week that he planned to loosen restrictions and transition much of the state to a “green” risk status or what the administration has a called the “new normal.”
“Common sense requires keeping our current health risk guidance in place,” said Herbert in a statement. “A marked increase in disease incidence and in hospitalizations due to COVID-19 give us pause.”
Most of the state will remain in the “yellow” or low risk status. Salt Lake City, Bluff and Mexican Hat will remain in the “Orange” or moderate risk status, where stricter protocols remain in effect for businesses.
Herbert said that while he wants to return the state to normal as soon as possible, he does not want to take any steps backward in terms of the progress that’s been made in addressing the virus. He urged Utahns to continue practicing social distancing and wearing face masks per the state’s official guidance.
Herbert also said that some rural counties could move to green status by the end of the month.