Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
UPR doesn’t happen without YOU! Help us reach our goal today as we spring to the finish line. GIVE NOW

Wednesday Morning Earthquake In Utah


On Wednesday morning, Utah residents woke up to an earthquake just after 7 a.m.

The epicenter of the 5.7 quake was in Magna and shaking could be felt throughout the state. An interactive map on eathquake.usgs.gov showed the quake caused movement as far north as Bear Lake and as far south as Juab. It also impacted out to the state's West Deseret and east, towards the Uintah Basin. 

Residents in the Salt Lake Valley said it felt as if a train hit their home, and others said they woke up to glass in picutre frames breaking, or things falling off their shelves. 

The earthquake Wednesday morning was the largest to hit the state since 1992. According to Rocky Mountain Power, initially, over 70,000 residents were impacted in the morning after the quake. Crews have been working to restore power and the number is steadily dropping. 

The earthquake broke pipes and caused flooding at the Salt Lake Internation Airport, which led to the airport being shut down and evacuated. 

In response to the earthquake and its aftershocks, TRAX halted train service. 

Reports also said that the Angel Moroni on top of the Salt Lake Temple has lost his trumpet.

To learn more about earthquakes, preparation, and what to do next, information is available at Be Ready Utah

We will continue to bring you updates on the air, streaming live at UPR.org, and on the UPR app. 

At 14-years-old, Kerry began working as a reporter for KVEL “The Hot One” in Vernal, Utah. Her radio news interests led her to Logan where she became news director for KBLQ while attending Utah State University. She graduated USU with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and spent the next few years working for Utah Public Radio. Leaving UPR in 1993 she spent the next 14 years as the full time mother of four boys before returning in 2007. Kerry and her husband Boyd reside in Nibley.